Let the Quality Improvement Cycle be your Guide…
Click through the tabs to view resources for each goal. The tabs represent
each step of the quality improvement cycle.
Getting Started provides an overview of the complete quality improvement
Resources will continue to be developed and posted online through May
can now be made.
Most residents are more comfortable with caregivers they know. When
nursing homes achieve stable staffing, certified nursing assistants (CNAs),
nurses, and administrators work in the nursing home long enough to learn each
resident’s needs and preferences. A stable staff allows the nursing home to
benefit from experience and knowledge that staff gain over time, increasing
the overall competence and confidence of staff, while building strong bonds
between residents and caregivers.
does staff stability benefit residents?
- Residents do not have to explain to new caregivers how to
care for them day after day.
- Staff can anticipate resident needs and respond more
quickly, confidently and naturally when they know the residents.
- Residents are more comfortable with the intimate aspects
of care when they know their caregivers.
- Residents with dementia are much more comfortable with
- Residents can have stronger relationships with staff.
- Residents in nursing homes with stable leadership and care
staff have better clinical outcomes.
does staff stability benefit nursing home staff?
- Staff know what residents want and need.
- Staff can give better care and be more organized in their
work with team members they know.
- Staff are less likely to be working with “temporary”
nurses or CNAs who are not as familiar with resident routines.
- Staff turnover is reduced.
- Staff have greater work satisfaction and are less likely
does staff stability benefit nursing homes?
- Nursing homes reduce the costs involved in repeatedly
advertising, interviewing, hiring and training new staff.
- Nursing homes with satisfied staff members are able to
recruit other good workers.
- Nursing homes have better survey outcomes and quality
- Family satisfaction rates improve.