Medicare Quality Improvement Organizations (QIOs)
Medicare QIOs nationwide are supporting the Advancing Excellence in America’s
Nursing Homes Campaign through statewide outreach activities in addition to
their work in the 9th Statement of Work (SOW). Many QIOs serve as LANE Conveners
and/or Members for the campaign in their state.
CMS contracts with one organization in each state, as well as the District of
Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands to serve as that
state/jurisdiction's QIO contractor. QIOs are private, mostly not-for-profit
organizations, which are staffed by professionals, mostly doctors and other
health care professionals, who are trained to review medical care and help
beneficiaries with complaints about the quality of care and to implement
improvements in the quality of care available throughout the spectrum of care.
The mission of the QIO Program is to improve the effectiveness, efficiency,
economy, and quality of services delivered to Medicare beneficiaries.
The QIO is the statewide organization that supports nursing homes in quality
improvement. The QIOs may help participating nursing homes achieve Campaign
goals, and provide resources to actively engage nursing home staff and consumers
in Campaign activities.
Many QIOs may assist with:
- Creating constructive relationships with statewide stakeholders who
share a commitment to quality improvement including quality of care and life
for nursing home residents.
- Supporting Campaign activities throughout the state, including
recruitment efforts, public awareness activities, the sharing of effective
practices, and the communication of Campaign key messages.
- QIOs may also:
- Assist nursing homes in accessing their Advancing Excellence website user names
and passwords (click
here for a list of QIO contacts by state that can assist with Advancing
Excellence usernames and passwords).
- Collaborate and participate in statewide LANE activities.
- Raise awareness about the Advancing Excellence Campaign and its
- Share materials developed by the national Campaign Steering
- Recruit nursing homes, nursing home staff, and consumers into the
Campaign and support their efforts to enhance quality of life for
residents and staff.
- Identify, develop and disseminate practical and evidence-based
technical assistance resources to help nursing homes achieve their
quality and organizational goals.
- Communicate key Campaign messages to participating nursing homes,
staff members, and consumers about national Campaign activities.
A list of QIOs is available on the
For login assistance with the Advancing Excellence website, please use the
QIO Advancing Excellence
contact list to find a QIO staff member (s) in your state.